Wednesday 15 June 2011

A day of mixed emotions

Today is one month before the start of of Trailwalker UK!

In project management, what one might call a 'key milestone'! Although how "key" a one milestone can be, when you hope to pass Sixty Two "milestones" during the event itself, I don't really know.

Whether we are actually physically ready or not is hard to say.

We've done a number of training walks that have got longer and longer; The soles of my feet no longer resemble those of Michael Gambon in 'The Singing Detective'; We've raised over £3,750 (and will no try to get close to £5,000) and we're still talking to each other.

So all in all, we're as ready as we can be! As far as emotions are concerned, nervously excited would probably sum it up.

However, this positive feeling was offset by an article that I have just seen from yesterday's Metro. The article, headed "I'd like to dedicate this to my patients", was about the 15th annual Webby Awards - the so-called Oscars of the Internet.

So far so good. However towards then end of the article there appeared reference to a certain Martin Cooper, aged 82, who was pictured holding a mobile phone the size of cricket bat.

The article then used these words to describe Mr Cooper's achievements:

"Martin Cooper, who invented the mobile phone, posed with his 1973 prototype as he picked up the special recognition award. 'Can you hear me now?' said the 82-year old as he collected his prize.

Well Mr Cooper I can hear you, and you may soon be hearing from my lawyers!

I present below 'Article A'.

Article A was sent to me in 1970, when I was aged only 9!

Article A is a letter which clearly demonstrates that I had come up with a better concept at least three whole years before Mr Cooper's award winning invention.

It is almost inconceivable that any court in the land would not accept that the idea which I sent to children's author E. W. Hildick in 1969, of a "television screen fitted into a walkie- talkie", as being anything other than the initial concept of the "smartphone".


So having missed the opportunity to take a super-injunction out on the Metro and Mr Cooper (who for the record, and for legal reasons, I am sure was innocent of my preceding invention) I am left with the sadness of what might have been!

Those of you who are less forgiving may wonder why a 50-year old man still has a letter from a children's author received over 40 years ago, but all that I would say is that I have made a habit throughout my life of keeping all of my achievements in a special box.

I hope one day to be able to put a second item in the box but, for the time being, until I find my Blue Peter badge, this letter will have to be it.

Now, how sad is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment