Friday 4 March 2011

Have the Norwegians got it in for us Brits?

For anybody who regularly reads my blog...sorry, (more realistically) for the two people who regularly read my blog, you will know that last week I had my first jump on the Holmenkollen Ski Jump near Oslo. I explained how only a "...thin metal barrier" stood between me and the steep, snow covered slope" and without a Norwegian Health & Safety official in sight, nobody could legitimately claim that anybody had any concern for my health, safety or in fact, my life itself.

Had I wanted to, I could honestly have slid down the slope any which way I wanted. In fact, given that the entry to the lift (to the top of the jump) was through the ski jump "museum", it would also have been possible to "borrow" a pair of skis to take up to the top.

So given this total lack of concern for health & safety, imagine my surprise when reading today's copy of the London Metro, shown in the following link: -


The UK's top ski jumper, James Lambert was told by the International Ski Federation (FIS) that he could not take part in the Nordic combined large hill event - including the ski jump - "...because it was TOO DANGEROUS!".

Therefore, either my visit to Holmenkollen resulted in the authorities realising the seriousness of the situation, and deciding to (bubble) wrap all semi vulnerable competitors in cotton wool or...

Having witnessed my efforts on the jump, they didn't want to risk another middle-aged Englishman (Lambert is 46 years old) showing up the more fancied Norwegian jumpers.*

Well, what do you think?

* P.S. As for Norwegian jumpers - we bought a pair once when cruising the Norwegian Fjords. What looked warm and stylish in the Arctic Circle, looked like something one's Gran would knit for you as a Christmas pressie, and despite costing about £200 for the pair, they soon found themselves on the local tip!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment