Tuesday 19 April 2011

Walking to - not on - the Moon!

As mentioned in my blog of April 15th, our recent training efforts had left my left knee with a certain degree* of pain.

Therefore, I paid a visit to Terry Hallett, a podiatrist in Worthing, to see if he could work his wonders. Whilst it is early days, the initial signs are encouraging but as I was leaving he said, "...Someone once told me that in an average lifetime a person walks the equivalent of the distance to the moon!"

Now, when 100km seems like such a long way, could it really be possible to walk what seems to be an unimaginably long way?

So I decided to see whether this so called "fact", was, in fact, TRUE.

If you Google the question "Does an average human walk the equivalent of the distance to the moon in a lifetime?", there are 28.7m answers.

The first answer shown, states "...During a lifetime the average person will walk more than 250,000 miles. That's the distance from the Earth to the moon!"

250,000 miles, is clearly a long way, and whilst we may (hopefully) on average, live for say 85 years, that is only just over 35,000 days. Or to put it another way - on average - person would have to walk over 7 miles each and every day that they live.

Therefore it appears that I am not average, but to be honest I'm not sure that - if these statistics are true - anybody else is either!






* A 2:1 in 21st Century Painology

No comments:

Post a Comment