Tuesday 12 July 2011

Oxfam Team - I don't like to complain, but....

OK, before I proceed with what we in the customer service industry call "...constructive feedback", may I firstly congratulate the Oxfam Team, for the A-MAZE-ING, website, live blog, twitter feeds etc
First class effort! 

In addition, when I saw that not only we, but also our friends and family (in my case, I guess that should just read "family"!) would be able to track our progress as we sped, ambled or crawled along the route, I was extremely pleased for two reasons:

  1. I would not have to wear my Garmin GPS device which in 2001 was cutting edge technology, but now looks like the equivalent of someone  strapping a grandfather clock to their arm and trying to pass it off as a wristwatch; and
  2. I would not have to strap a solar panel to my back to power my phone over 30(ish) hours as I tried to find the nearest phone mast signal, to show others our progress via the wonderful & varied "Apps" that exist.
So every few minutes since the site was launched I have been clicking the "Track a Team" button, only to receive the "Available later" response. Imagine my joy when, yesterday evening, I clicked  and found the system was truly live!

This was when  my pleasure started to diminish. Here are my reasons, and I enclose a snapshot of the page for illustrative purposes.
  1. Anyone trying to find me on the site will stop looking as soon as they see the 'search heading' - Athlete search - nobody will be looking for an 'athlete'. If there are to be other searches, including aging, greying, male (ish) search , then they might stand a chance, but if not I shall remain "unfound".
  2. Bib? - I fully understand the need for cleanliness at the checkpoints where much food and drink will be consumed, but having to wear a bib is a bit excessive, isn't it? Not being a Bib "expert", I just put Tommy Tippee and hoped I could select from those available on the day.
  3. Sorting? - 'Laps' was an option, but however much, or little, I end up enjoying this...I will ONLY be doing ONE lap!
  4. Direction? - Now this was a feature that I liked! Not being one for going up the hills, I selected the 'descending' option, which hopefully will be far easier.
I then pressed 'Search' but it couldn't find me, and I was actually sat in front of the computer, no more than two feet away from it!

How on earth is it going to find me this weekend when I could be anywhere on the South Downs!

To give it another chance, I even pressed the 'Refresh' button, went downstairs; had a beer; came backed upstairs, duly refreshed, and tried again. But still no luck.

So Oxfam...nice try, but possibly some room for improvement?

ONLY JOKING! It looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment