Monday 21 February 2011

Age appropriate activities?

We flew out of Heathrow Terminal 5 this evening on our way to Oslo for a short break.

We were seated in row 6 and had the aisle and middle seat in a row of 3. When we boarded, the window seat was already occupied by a man who appeared to be in his early 40's, and who we subsequently found out was Norwegian.

After about half an hour the cabin crew came round and served us a small hot meal and a glass of wine. I had just started to eat mine, when I was astonished to see Teresa leaning to her left and cutting up the food on the Norwegian gentleman's plate and then...started feeding him the food on the end of her fork!

He clearly had no idea how to react, and simply looked confused and a little scared.

"TERESA!..." I shouted "...WHAT on earth are you doing?", as I started apologising profusely to our fellow passenger.

OK - the above didn't ACTUALLY happen.

However, when Teresa last came to Oslo over 30 years ago, she was a 17 year old in her first job as a nanny to two Norwegian boys, aged 7 & 8.

Whilst only 9 years older than the oldest child on occasions she may have cut up his food and generally looked after him.

However, whilst the age differential with our fellow passenger was about the same, to have helped him in a similar way, would probably have got her locked up!

So it appears as though it is not just the age differential that is important but also the actual ages of the people involved also.

Here are some things that are age appropriate and some that are not!

Walking 100km in 20 hours is very appropriate for a 25 year old.

Walking 100km in 20 hours may not be so appropriate for a 50 year old...or is it?

Age itself shouldn't stop you doing anything if you're fit enough. Age is only a number!

I clearly remember runners who appeared much older than me overtaking me in the London and New York marathons that I completed 10 years ago.

Age didn't stop them - although being overtaken by a 73 year old man dressed in a (not Archbishop Desmond) tutu, nearly stopped me!

So, if age is not the issue, but fitness is, there is only one problem. Whilst there is nothing I can do about my age I have no excuses to stop me getting fit.

So I better just get on with it!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment