Wednesday 23 February 2011

My first jump on Holmenkollen ski jump

Please note that every word of the following account is absolutely true!

As I stood at the top of the Holmenkollen ski-jump today, the first day of the World Nordic Ski Championships, I was all too aware that the last time an Englishman had been in a similar position on the first day of a such a major Championship, his achievements resulted in many considering him to be a hero, whilst an equal number considered him to be a fool.
On that day in 1988, Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards had set a GB record of 73.5m, but had still come last in both the 70m & 90m jumps.

Today, as I looked down the jump I could hear the crowd below cheering, although realised that, with a preponderance of Norwegian flags being waved, the cheers, however polite, were not for me.
With only a thin metal barrier between me and the steep snow covered slope itself, I took a deep breath. One ill-timed slip, and months of preparations would be wasted. I had to make sure that my timing was spot on. Half way down the slope the electronic timer counted down the seconds.

I composed myself and then jumped.
Edwards had set the record at 73.5m. My first jump didn't even reach 60!*

Now, it goes without saying that my "jump" had not been off the end of the steep incline but simply a jump in the air at the top of the visitor platform next to where intrepid ski-jumpers would soon launch themselves down the run in the days to come.

On this first day of the World Ski Championships there was no ski-jumping event taking place, and the mainly Norwegian crowd below were cheering, but for the competitors in the qualifying rounds of the cross-country skiing.

However, both the Ski-jump museum and access to the top of the ski-jump itself were still open, and I couldn't miss the opportunity to experience what it was like to stand at the top.

As for 'Eddie The Eagle'? Whilst he was eventually declared bankrupt, he put his money where his mouth was. He became a British record holder, and the world remembers his name!

The line in the poem 'Risk' (from last Thursday's blog):

"...To try is to risk failure"

...is particularly relevant to Eddie. He tried, he risked failure, and to some he did fail, because he came last. But in doing so he set a British record, and jumped further than any Briton had ever done before, until his record was broken in 1994.

By so many measures Eddie did actually succeed.

All across the world as teams set out on Trailwalker events they will test themselves as they have never done so before, not knowing if mind, body or soul will help them to succeed, or will conspire against them. However, what unites them all is the "will" to succeed, whatever the outcome.

Whilst "...to try is to risk failure", NOT to try is to never know what you can achieve!

* = 60cm

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment