Wednesday 4 May 2011

STOP PRESS - 11th Top Trailwalker Training Tip

When posting my "Top Ten Tips" the other day, the more observant of you may, if had been paying very close attention, have noticed a slight preoccupation that I had with my feet, so much so that I forgot to mention an extremely useful and practical tip.

I remembered this fact when Tweeting over the inter web with a fellow Trailwalker who once confessed to me that she was afraid of the dark and was a little scared of the thought of walking along the South Downs in pitch darkness!

I'm sure that at the time I gave her the benefit of my (not Norman) wisdom in such matters, but I am now able to add to this following our experience in Saturdays walk, which continued for a short while after the sun had set.

The two pieces of advice are therefore:
  1. Get a head torch, and
  2. Keep your mouth shut

Hopefully, the first piece of advice is self explanatory, and if you get a really bright one, and can master the art of engine noises before the walk in July, anyone walking towards you will actually think that you're a motorbike!

The second point is less obvious, but let me explain. I now know what moths taste like in vast numbers! Need I say more?

1 comment:

  1. Also very scared of aliens that roam the South Downs mid-July during the night when it's dark and there are hills to climb!

    The old lady who swallowed the fly, she died. The good news is, she didn't swallow any moths. We think you're going to be OK.

    ReplyDelete