Friday 6 May 2011

Trailwalker UK and the Countryside Code

There have been a number of mentions in various Trailwalker blogs of the abundance of bird and wildlife to be seen on the South Downs, but also  a sense that some have been somewhat frustrated by other "traffic" on the route, namely bikes!

Now I'm sure that bikes, vehicles, walkers and animals should all be able to get on with each other as long as we all follow the Countryside Code & it's principles of: -
  • Respect
  • Protect &
  • Enjoy

The South Downs are big enough for all of us, and if we bear the above in mind, surely we can't go far wrong? As well as the numerous bikes (which I think will be far less numerous on the 16/17 July!) I have seen a few very large bulls, horses, sheep, rabbits and foxes, but I haven't seen anything that I think would actually do us any harm. 

However, who knows what might roam on the Downs at night?

Sometimes, animals that you would never expect to "bump into" can be found, and a few years ago whilst walking on Chactonbury Hill, we came across several llamas...and they SPIT!

So as I said recently, make sure you have your head torch turned on (keep your mouths shut) and remain vigilant...because if you don't...you never know, but something like this could force you off the path...

"WOW, look! there's an elephant up ahead! I"

"Of course, there's room to get by him!"

"I'm sure he's only resting"

"See, I told you! He's moving away now..."

"SH*@%TTT! He's attacking the car!"

"OK, OK, maybe there wasn't enough room to get by!..."

"...and no I don't know who's going to pull us out of here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment